Happy Anniversary, NeW!
I have enjoyed celebrating NeW’s Eighth Anniversary this week! Thank you to all of the talented women who lead chapters throughout the country and those who support our work. Today, I thought I would review some of my favorite NeW moments.
- Our National Conference each summer: Each summer, we hold our annual National Conference. This summer, over 100 women participated in our conference events and Mary Katharine Ham gave an enlightening keynote address! Click here for pictures.
- Online Book Club: We started the Online Book Club years ago. This has been a nice way for women who don’t have chapters at their schools to get involved with NeW. This semester, the Online Book Club is reading Letters to a Young Conservative by Dinesh D’Souza. You can read and comment along today!
- NeW at UVA event with Dr. Christina Hoff Sommers: One of our first events at UVA in 2004 was with Dr. Christina Hoff Sommers. We had such a big crowd that people were sitting in the aisles and standing in the back.
- Time Magazine coverage of NeW: It was our first big piece of national news coverage, but not our last!
- Chapter Events: I enjoy hearing the creative ideas our chapter leaders come up with for how to make a difference on their campuses. Click here for some pictures of difference chapter events.
- Women’s History Month speeches: In March, I visit some of our chapters and speak on women’s history month. Our chapter members and campus community appreciate the opportunity to hear more about some women and events they often don’t hear about in the classroom.
- Friendships: I am thankful for the deep and meaningful friendships I have developed through NeW. I am still good friends with many of the original founders at UVA and have enjoyed building new NeW relationships through the NeW DC group. I was just at a wedding for one of the members earlier this month and know there will be more to come.
- NeW in DC: Today, college women are not the only ones involved with NeW. Our NeW in DC initiative has been going strong for over a year, with monthly book club meetings, socials and other events. It’s a great way for young professional women in the DC area to stay involved with NeW. Contact Sarah for more information.
I am still amazed with how much NeW has grown over the years! More and more women are becoming involved with NeW Chapters on their campus, participating in NeW National events, and providing guidance and support as NeW alumnae. I am inspired by the stories I hear and by the work these capable young women are doing. I am happy to take a moment to celebrate NeW! You can help us celebrate by becoming an Eighth Anniversary Supporter.
We say this often here at NeW, but I think it holds true more so this week: It’s a great time to be a NeW Woman!
Karin Agness is the Founder and President of NeW.