1) An opening Prayer given by the Charlottesville Police Department Chaplain, Reverend Edward Hopkins
2) A Cappella Performance by UVA's Academical Village People. The group of men sang The National Anthem, Don't Let Me Go, and Tears in Heaven
3) Introduction of speaker by Burke Society and NeW member Laura Smith
4) "9/11: The Untold Story of Heroes" Mr. Fabrizio Bivona. Mr. Bivona is a firefighter and paramedic in New York City and worked inside of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. His presentation was profound and inspirational. There were few dry eyes in the audience as he spoke of losing his friends, helping the families of those who lost loved ones, and reminding us that thousands wake up everyday and feel the loss and that for them this is not over.
5) Candlelight Vigil presented by NeW followed by a silent time for prayer and reflection
Below are a few pictures from the Candlelight Vigil:
NeW Members and presenters at the Vigil: Caroline, Judy, Katie, and Loren light their candles
Many people look at September 11th as just another day and do not take the time to remember all the innocent lives taken eight years ago. We also tend to forget the amazing displays of patriotism that pulsated through our nation in the days and weeks following 9/11. The Network of enlightened Women challenged the students who attended to let it not take a tragedy like 9/11 for us to declare how proud we are to be Americans. The profound words of President George W. Bush reminded us all how mighty our great nation is,